Friday, November 22, 2013

The Land by Mildred Taylor*****

I recently read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry for my ELA class (English/ language arts), so The Land was an obvious choice for me to read next. It all starts when Paul-Edward is growing up. It tells the story of his life, and gives details about his brothers and sister. It shows the betrayal between Paul-Edward and his family. This is the sequence of events that gives the Logans their land. Paul-Edward works hard and and manages to get the land because he looks white. He was born a slave and his father was his owner. He manages to set his family up for future stories in the Logan family.

This book was amazing. I usually hate historical fiction, but Mildred Taylor's books are an exception. I love the use of detail; it felt like an actual story of real people instead of just fictional characters, and I didn't feel like I was being forced to learn about a big historical event. Now, I have a better understanding of the racism in this country after the Civil War. I hope you love this book as much as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment